Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 09:51:48 -0800
From:      "Paul A. Scott" <pscott@skycoast.us>
To:        Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.2.1 Signal 11 on start

> From: Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
> I wonder if this could be the problem--I've found, on several installs
> of both Linux and FreeBSD that I had much better luck selecting
> S3 Virge (Generic) for an S3 Trio card in xf86config.
> Not sure if it'll help, but probably worth a shot.

No, it didn't help.

However, I received an off-list message from Jean-Marc Zucconi who provided
a solution.

I added:

Option      "NoInt10"

to the "Device" section of XF86Config, and now X is running. Of course, I
had to use the curses (or shell) based configuration (rather than the GUI
utility) to get an initial XF86Config built, then added the NoInt10 option
manually.

I have to wonder why this option is necessary on XFree86-4, when it was not
needed on XFree86-3.3.6. Is it a new "feature" of 4?

Paul

--
Paul A. Scott
mailto:pscott@skycoast.us